History

School Background & History

Doonbeg National School (S.N. Dúnbeag) was established in 1879 to cater for one hundred pupils. Within a few years the enrolment had increased to 242 children. This necessitated the building of a girl’s school, which opened in 1888. In 1971, the boy’s and girl’s schools were amalgamated to form the current Doonbeg National School. In 2004, the school celebrated its 125th anniversary. In 2007, the school was relocated to a new purpose built school at its present location.

Teachers at Doonbeg National School – 1930 – 2018

Name From To
Miss Nolan 1932 1937
Miss Kenny A 1937 1943
Brigid Cotter, AP 1943 1979
Michéal Aghas, P 1950 1981
Máire E Ní Mhathuna, AP 1959 2001
Máire Ní Aodha, A 1965 1982
Máirín Ní Aodha, A 1982 1989
Máire Nic Aogáin, AP, P 1979 2012
Seosamh Ó Muirthile, P 1981 1998
Micheál Ó Ruadhain, P 1998 1999
Máire Ní Annracháín – Aogáin, LS 2000 2013
Máire Ní Mhurchú, A 2001 Inniu
Antoinette Ní Chonfhormhaoile, A 2002 2009
Neil O’ Crualaoich, P 2012 Inniu
Tomás O’Riain, SET 2013 Inniu
Aishling Ní Argáin, AP 2017 Inniu